We’re sure you have questions. Go ahead and find the answers.

General Questions

Can additional furniture be brought into the unit?

Sure, your unit is yours to decorate and furnish as you wish. However, furniture that is in the unit/room when you arrive needs to remain in the unit/room. Before bringing additional furniture into the common area, please consult with your roommate(s). Please read the housing contract as certain restrictions may apply.

Can I arrive earlier than my contract begin date or my assigned move-in time?

No. Centennial Hall does not allow early arrivals unless sponsored by an approved program or group with SUNY-ESF. Early arrivals for other reasons may be considered on an individual basis for an additional fee but early arrivals are not guaranteed.

Can I request an unit or roommates?

First year students will be assigned a room in one of our comfortable 1 bedroom/1 bathroom/2-3 person rooms (also known as a "double" or "triple"). You will be able to request a specific roommate if you would like on your housing application form. In order for these requests to be considered, they must to be mutual. Please see the "How are roommates matched?" section below for more information about pairing with a preferred roommate!! For upper class students, we strongly recommend that you turn in your applications at the same time for your request to be honored. If you do not have roommates in mind, we would be more than happy to assign roommates to you, using our application.

Can I use my financial aid?

Centennial Hall works closely with the financial aid office at SUNY-ESF. Your housing bill will show up on your student account and your financial aid award can be applied to that bill as needed.

Do I have a curfew?

Centennial Hall does not require residents to be in their units at a specific time. For safety purposes, residents are encouraged to tell their roommate(s) when they are going out and what time they expect to return to their room.

Do I have a meal plan?

Please see for more information on the meal plan requirements.

Do you allow pets?

No we do not allow pets or guest pets in Centennial Hall, If you use a service animal, please see the "Accommodations Requests" FAQ below or contact our staff for more information.

How do I schedule a tour?

Please contact the Admissions office at 315-470-6600 to schedule a tour.

How are roommates matched?

We have partnered with RoomSync to provide a modern matching platform where residents choose their own roommates. After you complete the leasing process you will be emailed a link to join our RoomSync network. You will then log in to RoomSync using Facebook, create a matching profile, and begin your search to find your new best friend - or roommate for starters. If you already have a roommate in mind, you can confirm your roommate request within RoomSync.

How are rooms assigned?

Residents who already have preferred roommates can confirm their roommate match requests using RoomSync, our roommate matching platform. If they do not already have a roommate, residents will search for and choose their own roommate using RoomSync. Residents will be able to communicate with each other during and after the selection process. In the event that potential roommates discover that they are no longer compatible, they can request a different roommate and we will do our best to accommodate any change request.

How long are the terms of the housing contract?

We offer two-semester, academic year contracts for all room-types (one-bedroom suites, two-bedroom suites, and 4-bedroom units).

Is parking available?

Unfortunately, Centennial Hall is not able to offer permanent parking for students. Please contact Syracuse University and visit for more information. Please note, first year students are not permitted to have cars on campus.

What not to bring?

Open flames (i.e., scented candles, lanterns, etc.), items used for cooking (in the suite style units) including hot plates, George Forman grills, toasters and toaster ovens... Any objects or pictures to be placed outside or inside the room window or on the exterior of the building, Weapons that can be used for bodily harm (i.e., knives, axes, guns, any projectile weapons, etc.), Outside grills are not allowed.

What security do you provide?

While we are concerned for our residents' safety, no one can guarantee safety. There will be security on the property over night. We also have Resident Assistants (RA) on call each night & provide the residents with the RA on call phone number. We have surveillance cameras around the property. Additionally, during the evening hours, there will be a single card access entrance to the building for additional security.

What should I bring?

All rooms are fully furnished. Clothing, general cleaning supplies (mop, duster, broom, rag, cleanser), bathroom supplies (towels, shampoo, etc), laundry basket/detergent, iron & ironing board, pillow, sheets, bedspread/comforter, pillowcases, small first aid kit, wastebasket, clothes hangers, can opener, alarm clock, glasses/cups, room freshener (NO CANDLES), television, decorative items, etc. You do not need, nor are you allowed to bring, a microwave or a mini fridge. Both are supplied.

What size are the beds?

The suite style units (one-bedroom "double" and two-bedroom suites) are furnished with bunkable extra long twin sized beds (approximately 80" long). And the other units are furnished with full sized beds (approximately 80" long).

What types of units and rooms are available?

We offer spacious 4 bedroom/2 bathroom units for upper class students where the bedrooms are contracted individually. We also offer 2 bedroom/1 bathroom suites for upper class students where the bedrooms are contracted individually. Finally, for first year students, we offer a 1 bedroom/1 bathroom suite that is shared with one other student (also called a "double") and beds are contracted individually. All units/rooms are fully furnished.

What if I need to cancel my contract?

Contact our friendly staff for more details. Remember that Centennial Hall will not release students to live off campus while still attending ESF.

What utilities are included in my monthly housing fee?

Water, Internet with wireless capabilities, cable, & electricity, heat, air conditioning. Assistance with any of these utilities is available through our office.

When is my first payment due?

For Fall move-ins: the first payment is due when your first student account bill is due. For those who sign a contract after Fall move in: Your first payment will be due when the charges appear on your student account.

Accommodations Requests


Requests regarding meal plan exceptions, housing assignment adjustments, emotional support animals, or any building augmentation that creates a significant or permanent physical adjustment will be directed to the Housing Accommodation Request process. *Individuals with service animals should contact Centennial Hall directly To evaluate all requests accurately and equitably, a deadline is set to mitigate the likelihood of undue administrative burden, (i.e., significant difficulty in fulfilling a request once room assignments are completed). ESF will continue to accept housing requests beyond the deadline and into the academic year, but providing this information early will allow accommodations to be in place in time for your arrival.